Saturday, July 12, 2008

Grill Menu

Hey there, sorry I have been such a loser, not posting for a while. I'll try to post more frequently really. First up will be some new recipes from my 4th of July party. I don't have an outdoor grill, but I managed to make grilled steak sandwiches on a grill pan and a George Forman grill. People really liked them, and you can grill up some portabellos for those pesky vegetarians and serve them with the same sauce.

Cherry Cola Steak Sandwiches:


First the sauce:
Cherry Coke BBQ Sauce (also tasty on chicken)
This is from Bon Appetit magazine this month, but I changed it up a bit
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 2 cups chopped onions
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 small bottle of A-1 Steak Sauce
  • 1 1/2 cups of ketchup
  • 1 12- to 13-ounce jar cherry preserves or jam
  • 1 cup cherry cola or regular cola (regular, not diet)
  • 1/3 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions; sauté until golden, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and stir 1 minute. Stir in everything else. Bring to simmer, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer uncovered until reduced to 4 cups, stirring often to prevent scorching, about 50 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl and cool completely.
You can make this ahead of time and keep it in the fridge. It is a crazy good sweet BBQ sauce, but it has the nice Worcestershire meatiness from the A-1. You could add hot sauce if you want, but I prefer a sweet sauce.
Steak:
I took a Sirloin steak and cut it in half to fit on my 2 grills, but do whatever you have to to get it on your grill machine of choice. Just put olive oil on, rub it all over the meat (the fun part) and then sprinkle liberally with McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning or just salt and pepper. Then throw it on the grill or the Forman until it is done as you like it. Beware, the forman cooks a lot faster so keep an eye on it. Then my lovely pal cut the meat for me, against the grain please!
To Serve:
I put out the steak on a platter, the sauce in a bowl, and some challah rolls out for people to make sandwiches. Challah is a Jewish egg bread that is braided, in loaf fomat it makes great French Toast, but the rolls are lovely they look like little shinny yellow knots and most good size grocery store bakeries should have them.


OK next time I'll tell you about my Smore bar....

No comments: