Thursday, December 10, 2009

Jam Thumbprints

So in case those weren't enough cookies for you, here is another family favorite, Jam Thumbprints. I say splirge on the jam with these and go with Bonne Maman jam, it means Grandma in french, how could you go wrong, especially since my grandma always made these for christmas. I should also note that I brought these to my qualifying exam just before christmas last year and I passed, there was a blizzard, it was very dramatic. Anyhow I like to think that my cookie bribe hedged my bets a bit with my dissertation comittee. Another possible variation whihc I think is super elegant is to do Rose Thumbprints. I found rose petal jam at the Middle Eastern market where I live, I bought it in the middle of the summer wiht no idea what to do wiht it, and then it dawned on me. I added some rosewater (whihc you can usually find at the regular market near the vanilla) to the dough, and the rose jam to the centers. I makes a really lovely floral cookie, not to sweet. Enjoy!

8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened

½ cup granulated sugar

2 large egg yolks, room temperature

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

2½ cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon coarse salt

Jam


Make the dough: Cream butter and granulated sugar with a mixer until pale and fluffy. Add yolks and vanilla, and beat for 1 minute. Reduce speed to low, and beat in flour and salt until combined. Cover, and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour (or up to 1 day).

Preheat oven to 325.

Roll balls using 2 teaspoons dough for each. Place 1 inch apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. With the handle of a wooden spoon, or your thumb press gently in the center of each to create an indentation. Put enough jam in the center to just fill it. Bake for about 14 minutes until brown around the edges.


Yields: about 60 cookies

No comments: